Phu Phiang: Craft & Culture Journeys Through Thailand are operated in partnership with the ThaiCraft Association which is an organization that helps village artisans throughout the country achieve self-reliance by creating income-generating opportunities. As for what Phu Phiang tours is all about, they are a responsible travel company in Thailand that operates under the principles of Fair Trade. There tours bring small groups of travelers to off the beaten path locations throughout the Kingdom of Thailand where they meet and interact with Fair Trade craft producers. Along the way travelers are able to see beautiful sights, learn about the fascinating and varied Thai culture and be inspired by the country’s Buddhist traditions.
Phu Phiang tours brings tourist to local artisans and in doing so the money provided from the tourist goes directly into helping the local economy. Phu Phiang is a vital part of this because if it wasn’t for them taking tourist of the beaten path there would be no income generated for the locals.
- Fair Working Conditions: The tours are accessible to not only to foreign travelers but also local. The team consists of people who are highly motivated and proud of their country as well as the people of the communities of which they visit.
- Fair Prices: Prices for purchasing local artisan art are far cheaper than what would be had if purchased in Bangkok, this providing a better deal to tourist.
- Integration Into the Local Economy and Regional Development: The support for the local artisans and economy is the main focal point of Phu Phiang tours and by bringing tourist to places that they would not normally go they succeed in attaining there main focal point.
- Fair Trade Partnerships between All Actors in Tourism: Since the cost of the tours are low tourist are able to spend more money in the local communities.
- Sustainable Resource Use and Environmental Justice: They create close partnerships with local communities, local guides and local entrepreneurs and businesses, also providing training and support where appropriate. They ensure there is a mutual benefit for all involved in their activities and that fair prices, wages and compensation are always given as appropriate. Making a point of giving travelers an understanding, appreciation and respect for local cultures that will provide a positive impact on host communities.
Their web site features reviews by villagers . . . an excellent innovation to demonstrate their involvement and benefit from Phu Phiang. Check out the Villager's Review.
Please read about their Community Based Tourism Initiative.